Saturday 7 October 2017

Media Tasting: Barashi Tei

After a previous food tasting session at Barashi Tei last year, which was filled with tons of yummies, I was really glad to be invited for another food tasting session once again to try out some of their new items on the menu!

Deep Fried Softshell Crab - $12.80 

You can never go wrong with a big, fat softshell crab that's deep fried to perfection and served crisp and piping hot on a plate. The only bad thing about this is that you're actually on a diet but it's so hard to stop popping them into your mouth. 

Unagi Don - $18.80

I'm definitely not an unagi fan (I really dislike the meat's texture and exceptionally hates biting into the cartilage bits) but this was pretty okay! Although the distinctive "overly-tender" texture of the unagi can't be avoided, the marinate was definitely yummy and it made the overall dish less unappealing for me as a unagi-hater.

Ika Kabayaki (Grilled Squid) - $16.80

It's obvious even from the picture that this squid is humongous! Though not the most tender and juicy grilled squid you can find, I still find this a good pairing with perhaps, a pint of iced cold beer.

Chawanmushi - $4.80 / Ikura (Salmon Roe) Chawanmushi - $6.80

Barashi Tei has upped their chawanmushi game by topping them up with ikura! However, as I'm not a fan of these neon-orange salmon roe, I went for the standard plain ones instead, which was equally good! I love mixing in some tongarashi (Japanese chili powder) into my chawanmushi. Ground pepper does work too, but it's not really the same. 
 How about you?

Unagi Salmon Mentai Maki - $14.80

This was one of the two variations of salmon maki that were introduced to us that night. Even though I'm not that much of an unagi fan, this suit my palates a little better as it has a lighter, less complex taste to it. The slice of salmon and mentai topping pretty much overpowered the small slice of unagi wrapped in the middle as well, so I hardly noticed the distinctive unagi taste and texture within.

Spicy Salmon Maki - $14.80

The more jerlat (strong flavoured) salmon maki cousin of the Unagi Salmon Mentai, the Spicy Salmon Maki has a big fat ebi fry (fried breaded shrimp) wrapped in the middle of the rice roll and topped with seared salmon and spicy cream-roe sauce. 
The combination of the soft and tender seared salmon with crisp and crunchy fried breaded shrimp and a generous dollop of the spicy cream sauce gave the maki a more complex texture (and also a little bit harder to eat it all in one mouth). 

Sashimi Moriawase - $28 (for 12 pieces)

Must try for all sashimi lovers out there! I'm hardly a fan of raw fish, and especially avoid eating any while in Singapore as they can never be fresh enough to not give you the fishy taste (I can still taste them regardless how subtle). But the sashimi Barashi Tei serves were really fresh and I could manage keeping a few slices down (if I wanted to). I mean, I can eat them if you want me to. But honestly speaking I just do not truly appreciate sashimi so it's better that I leave it for the others who are true sashimi lovers, right?
Don't judge me.

And then, back to a few of the popular dishes we had in our previous media tasting...

Ishikari Nabe Set (Salmon Head Hotpot) _ $18.80

This time, we were served the salmon head instead, but the soup remains equally yummy and comforting!

Tamagoyaki - $5

And almost everyone went "JI DAN!" (Egg, in Mandarin) when this tiny plate of tamagoyaki was served. And a few of the bloggers actually bought takeouts of this back home. 
Undoubtedly one of the most popular dish I've ever seen at a media tasting event. 

Foie Gras Sushi - $15.80 (for 2 pieces)

One of the dishes of the night that also received tons of "oohs" at the table. This time, their popular foie gras has ditched the previous partner (sirloin steak) and found.... sushi rice! Although it may seem a little pricey at almost $16 for just two pieces of sushi, but Barashi Tei are actually pretty generous with the cut and if you're a die-hard fan of foie gras, this will definitely be worth your penny.

Barashi Tei is located at
266 Middle Road
Elias Building
Singapore 188991

Till then,
Mia Foo


0 comments:

Post a Comment